Thursday, September 06, 2007

"You Want Us To Play Until The Sun Comes Up?...That's Ridiculous!"

Yeah, we did actually. Ridiculous a concept? Never!

There are few bands I would go see more than once in support of the same tour/album. Well, okay, a 'few' would imply 3 but in fact, it's only 2. Need I say MUSE?

And the second, because inquiring minds would like to know, I'm certain of it:



Once again (like the tool I am re: last MUSE concert), I was debating not going to this. However, this time, it wasn't from trying to refrain from seeing a band for the 4th time of the same tour but I was wary of the venue as I'd never been to Central Park Summerstage and really didn't feel like moshing in one giant pit.

But thanks to an enthusiastic H1, we opted to go and for the second time this year, Arctic Monkeys have left me in pain of the fantastic kind.

You know the kind of pain you get the day after from jumping in the pit or moshing in the pit? That's a sign of a fun concert had and indeed this night was.

Charming, witty, playful, and downright bad-assed, the boys of AM played with such fury and created such frenzy in the crowd, that from the Ukkers who were in attendance to the New Yorkers, to the out-of-towners - it truly made the house into a circus, berserk as fuck.

We tend to see that as a perk though.

Look, excusing the poor, misguided and gross misuse of lyrics that I just had to toss in for it seemed fitting at the time (and who wants to go back and re-edit? It's 12.59 in the AM as I type this and I've work in less than 5 hours), the bottomline is that the show was goo'd times and I'm determined to go back next year if they return.

Also, Malahide Castle may not have come to fruition this year like I wanted it to but I'm determined to see them in the UK at some point.

And why not?

They are well worth it.

The Lowlamps/WTF Moments of the evening:

1. Voxtrot. That band left much to be desired. I was fairly excited to see The Coral and only found out hours before the show that they were no longer supporting AM.
The horrid vocalist coupled with equally horrid lyrics had me rolling my eyes and apologizing profusely to Beetchie and H1 for their "music". Like BYOP before them (AM really needs better support when they come to the U.S.), they perhaps had a bit of musical potential but thanks to a bad lead singer, it made for an unbearable set. Seriously, thinking back now I don't think I should have been apologizing. Voxtrot owes me one!

2. The lack of pit etiquette. H1, Sons and Beetchie were fighting off kids who were being assholes. A pit is fun but not when it's filled with peeps who don't know how to act right in there. Rude people plagued the place. And if there's one thing I do, it's avoid things like the plague. Alas, the abundance of assholery was too much to be rid of completely and I too, had my share of listening to little kids from one of the superpowers in the newly built Axis of Evil, NJ, go on about nothing because they refuse to shut the hell up.

3. WTF is up with AM and their poor lighting. I know they're very lowkey and don't care much for flashy brightness and all that, which is fine - they don't need it because their energy makes up for all else. It's not their fault I've a bit of a crap camera but their lighting does not help the situation any. So once again, I've no really fantastic pictures of the band. Another 'fuckity-fuck-fuck-fuck' moment? Present.

4. We'd rather not talk about it but not being able to meet the band makes for some sad HOchieS. One day, cuties.

5. The boys seemed to be a bit off in the beginning not that it made me have any less fun, nor did it really make them have any less fun. They seemed to be laughing and looking at each other with the "okay, let's get it together. har har har" look. Funny lads, funny. Don't fuck up my "Brianstorm" like that again! Ah, I keed.

6. *Warning: Sullied Blog Alert!

Once again, I did not hear "Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But..." and "Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured". Also really disappointing was that we didn't get to hear the ultra-sexy vocals on "505". We also didn't get "Plastictramp"! I can kind of understand the lack of the latter being that it's not released here yet but come now, boys. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never hear "505" unless I go to the UK to see them and that I will never hear "Perhaps..." and "Red Light...".

Hmmm, there's never any chicken bones around when you need a bunch... H1 will come prepared the next time though. Oh, yes. Oh, yes.

7. The worst thing of the evening was the fact that everyone in our group was split up and H1 and I were separated. Separated! That trauma is never going down again.

The Highlights of the Evening:

1. Alex acknowledged me and smiled. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2. The banter between the band and the audience including the singing that went down during most songs, most notably, "When The Sun Goes Down", as expected.

3. They began the show with a little "Matador" Intro! Great stuff that. For a moment, I had a flashback to Japan when I happily found a CD store and took a picture of "Favourite Worst Nightmare" over there. I know. I have the strangest, most random flashbacks sometimes (and an affinity for finding excuses to post pictures of my boys):





4. Matthew, once more, tore up the drums like nobody's buisness and hit them particulary hard during "The View From the Afternoon". The sound in that open space was quite fabulous. It was a great venue for them.

5. I'm always rather impressed by the voice distortion bit that Alex does on "If You Were There, Beware" and tonight it was even more spectacular. It was loud, haunting and piercing - exactly the way I think it's meant to be heard.

::sigh::

Thanks for the great times and I'll see you next year - Nick, Matthew, The Cookie and Alex.





Arctic Monkeys @ Central Park Summerstage 09/05/2007 Set List:

Matador (intro)
This House is a Circus
Brianstorm
Still Take You Home
Dancing Shoes
From the Ritz to the Rubble
Fake Tales of San Francisco
Balaclava
Old Yellow Bricks
I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Flourescent Adolescent

Teddy Picker (let's have a game on the Teddy Picker!)
Intro + D is for Dangerous
Mardy Bum
Do Me A Favour
If You Were There, Beware
The View From The Afternoon
Leave Before The Lights Come On
When The Sun Goes Down
A Certain Romance


Hopefully this time, TD5 will be able to come with. Maybe March in London...?

Quote(s) and Memorable Conversation(s) of the evening:

"Everytime I sing this song, the microphone tends to go to the side so I have to sing like this (with my head sideways). It's fate. But I guess there are worse things than that fate, huh?" - lead singer of Voxtrot.
"Yeah, having to listen to you, for instance..." - Or 2.

"A little more on the bass and piano, please?" - lead singer of Voxtrot.
"How about a little less, like none. Also, who do you think you are making all these demands?!" - Or 2.

"We are having technical difficulties, folks." - lead singer of Voxtrot.
"Thank goodness! Maybe they'll have to end their set NOW!" - Or 2.
::music starts playing::
"Goddamn it!" - Or 2.

"Ummm, I smell Christian." - Beetchie, on Voxtrot.

"We're a band from Texas..." - lead singer of Voxtrot.
"Ooooohhhhh, that explains EVERYTHING." - Beetchie and Or 2.

Okay, so it seems we really wailed on this band. Ah well. They can't all be greatness support like Illinois (who are deserving of their own tour!!!!).

"I guess we can't get lucky twice in one year. Illinois was a rarity." - Or 2
"::raised eyebrow:: Yeah." - Beetchie

Currently listening to: Some Kenna including "Man Fading", "Sunday After You" and "Out of Control" by Kenna. Hmmm, I'm disappointed in that new song. Hopefully the rest of the album will be amazing like the first. I still maintain that "New Sacred Cow" was the best $9.99 purchase I made, not to be confused with my best $11.00 purchase made: my now pin-ified jacket.

P.S. That was also quite clever of you, Alex. We know there's no song by that name. At least, not one of yours. So really, how DID we expect you to play 'until the sun comes up'? Thanks for making the lot of us seem ridiculous!

Quite. clever. Indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...