Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Breakfast of Champions

A typical weekday morning breakfast of The HOchieS looks a lot like cereal.  Some days there may be nothing but wind pies to keep us full until lunch.

Then there are mornings that look much like today did:


Your eyes do not deceive you! Unless you thought it was a puffy white cloud condensed and trapped into a plastic container, then yes, your eyes are playing tricks.

That my friends, as I am sure many of us know, is a bao. 

In the many years of blogging, it occurred to me that I have no pictures of baos.  There are many instances where the bao has been mentioned.  There are even  pictures of bao heads dutifully protecting the faces of friends and friends celebrities but no clear picture of a meat-filled bao.

Why is that?

Well, for one, The HOchieS have been eating baos or 'pows' as we used to call them in Trinidad for as long as I can remember.

Therefore, taking a picture of a bao would be like taking a picture of my unflattering hand (incidentally a picture of that is forthcoming in the next blog I post! Stay tuned!) - something second nature that we have easy access to.  The fact is, we never even order them at dim sum because why when we could order all the other things we probably get only at dim sum?

Do not misunderstand, we love baos! What's not to love, really? It's a sweetish bread filled with char siu pork amongst other things.  We like our baos steamed and filled with pork but you can get it with chicken and if you're lucky, you can get one with custard.  Yum!

I've even eaten a pizza bao during my trip to Japan.  It was...odd.  I probably hated it at that time but you know, maybe I could eat one of those again.  Perhaps Cafe Zaiya might surprise me one day.

Always one to try to correct previous oversights, I present to you, Breakfast 2/10/2011.


As you will see though, I may have misrepresented or even misled some to believe they would be gazing upon a char siu bao.  No, no.  That's going to have to wait for another day because we did not eat one of those today.

Instead, we shared the behemoth you see before you - filled with pork in two varieties and half of a boiled egg.

It's bliss, I tell you! Anything filled with steamed pork, lapchongs and boiled eggs can be nothing but blissful.

So there you have it: the infamous breakfast bao.

Tomorrow there will be chobani yogurt for breakfast because as much as one would like to eat pork every morning and twice daily after that, sometimes a little yogurt is welcome as well.

Currently listening to: "The Life and Death of Kirby" by Insert Rupee (Benjamin Brigg, Halc) from the Overclocked Remix Album Heroes vs. Villains.  If I could listen to this song every minute of the day, I would be in the same situation as the pork.  I'd need to flavour it up by listening to something else.

6 comments:

  1. I would like to correct you and say that we prefer steamed baos as opposed to the baked ones.

    That is a good time breakfast.

    - H1

    Oh, the blog says decties to us. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, H1. Steamed baos are the best. I don't know what got into me to make me say 'baked'. Probably not enough bao. I made the correction.

    decties, aye? Like delicacies? I don't know either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I visited Chicago a couple years ago they were trying to push baos as the next "Big Mac". It was a little place that set up shop in a mall or something. I didn't like them in T'dad & I don't like them in the US. Probably because I don't like poofy flour things (like dumplings, white bread, etc). However, Japonais in NYC makes some fabulous ones! Topped with a nice sesame seed concoction. No idea if they still have them as I haven't eaten there is ages.

    wv: unpalecr

    The blog is making a comment about paleness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what your problem is or what kind of fausian you are (faux asian - I just made that up, it might need some re-working). I know, you only are a tiny bit of the Asian Persuasion, right?

    Anyway, who the hell does not enjoy a good dumpling. Are we talking Trini dumplings or Chinese dumplings? Either way you are mad.

    I have not been to Japonais and as someone who does not like baos, I don't know if I can trust you! But maybe we should take a visit one day.

    The blog says "corrent". Either he says you are current or correct. It speaks of paleness when talking about white flour. The blog continually proves itself to be a racist jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those breakfast bao's are actually called "Dai Bao's" in chinese...which literally translates into "Big bun". Those are good times, but I usually gotta add some salt (the egg is just too cooked :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beetchie, I want a dai bao from Crooklyn. Please provide. And thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...