Saturday, December 31, 2011

25 Years


This year marked the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda.  25 years!

I chopped some bushes and messed around Hyrule in the original game a long time ago but did not play my first game until Ocarina of Time.  I know! It's a terrible confession, isn't it?

Since then, I've played most of the games that followed with my favourite game of all time being The Legend of Zelda: Mask of Majora


I've journeyed with Link (or Kuseph, as I like to call him) through forests, temples and dungeons.  Together we've helped a lot of people along the way with not much gratitude in return.  We've bottled many a fairy, spoken to the Minish, become quite wealthy by obtain rupees any which way possible, traveled by train and sailed the oceans blue.

W've fought dragons, wind gods, the undead, countless other manners of beasts and occasionally fought our Darker Selves.

We've learnt to play the ocarina, jammed on guitar, conducted symphonies of the wind, and we're currently learning how to play the harp.

To celebrate the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo planned quite a number of events.  I am fortunate enough to live in NYC where Nintendo World is just a few short blocks away from work.  It's here that Nintendo World is currently hosting a large display of all things Zelda showcasing the history of the game and the Legend.


On Halloween, I took the opportunity to visit the display.  It was a fun tribute full of trinkets and item gets.  Limited edition pieces of hardware, figures and collector's items were all beautiful and enough to make a Zelda fan both reminisce and a little bit jealous.








Of course, a tribute to Zelda is a tribute to Shigeru Miyamoto.  

The man himself.


In 2005, Nintendo held a signing event for the release of Nintendogs and at number 36 and 37 in line, Beetchie and I had the opportunity meet Mr. Miyamoto and get some items signed.  He was the cutest!

And he laughed at me.

...

He only laughed because the little Wind Waker Link figure I brought for his signature (that I unceremoniously pulled from my pocket) made him smile.  

He's my most prized possession, my autographed angry eyes Link just as The Legend of Zelda continues to be one of my favourite series.

Thanks for the memories, Nintendo, Link and Zelda and here's to many years more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...