Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Update: The Decade in Review I: Best Albums of the 00s

At the end of the last decade and at the insistence of TD5, Frass and MC, I did a painstaking review of some of the best albums I heard spanning those 10 years.

During that time, I had placed one album in particular as an "honourable mention".  For the past several months I have turned my attention to it once more and discovered just how brilliant the album actually is and have decided it deserves more than just an honourable mention.

Maybe it's in part to due to the fun Zarnyx has singing "Australia" in Rock Band and maybe it was in part by actually listening to James Mercer's voice and lyrics, or maybe in my quest to rid the world of Hipsters (and in so doing, to know your enemy, you must immerse yourself in things that they love) I got a little too attached to The Shins.  But for an updated list in my Decade in Review and the Best Albums of the Noughties, I have now deemed The Shins' Wincing the Night Away to be a solid number 9.  Depending on my mood I might even be inclined to make it a bit higher but let's just go with that.

By the way, if you wanted to take a gander at the original list, please feel free to do so by clicking here.

9.  The Shins - Wincing The Night Away (2007)

But getting back to The Shins and Wincing the Night Away, it's a stellar album (see what I did there?).  It's musically complex, weird and Indie.  It's not hipster! I was only joking before.  Indie, damn it!

Soothing, fun, quirky and beautifully sung for a magical, fantastical and odd journey - those are some of the best descriptions I can use to describe this album and the feeling I get while listening.

Five years after it's release, there's something new I discover every listen and appreciate it just that much more for its experimental sounds and clever arrangements.  It's definitely one of those timeless albums I'm sure I'll continue to understand a bit more as the years go by.

Noteworthy Tracks:  "Sea Legs", "Sleeping Lessons", "Australia" and "Phantom Limb".

Memory to Share: Zarnyx tearing it up for "Australia" in Rock Band.  It was in singing this song which I sinfully admit that I never really paid much attention to in the past that I realized just how amazing and difficult a song it was.  Vocally, it's quite challenging which was something I always knew of "Sea Legs" (my favourite track) but this song was so fun yet so complicated that I had to go back and re-listen to what else I was missing.  Clearly, four to five years ago I could not fully grasp this gem of an album.  Shame.  on.  me.

Person to Thank for the Introduction: Myself.

Song War: 5 or 6?: No. 5. A Winner is H1 and big time though "Red Rabbits" is pretty awesome itself.
"Sea Legs" vs "Red Rabbits"

Currently listening to:  "Windows" by Broken Bells.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...