Saturday, September 15, 2012

Wii Send Thee Off

Yeah, it's been a while since I blogged so that was not the most clever of titles but hell, the Wii did not have the best name for a console either.  The concept behind it may have been sort of appealing but then the atrocity that is the "Wii U" name for the new console...::shudder:: is anything but.  However, like all things, I'll get over it and get used to it as well I'm certain.

For now, I'm doing a bit of retiring of the Wii.  Kinda...

In 2006, in a complete Jerk Face sort of move, I strolled into a packed Nintendo World to pick up my pre-ordered Wii on the Sunday after launch, where kids were screaming, running amok and people were hyped to get their units except of course, the Wii was completely sold out.

"Hey!!!" one rude child exclaimed, "How come she gets one?!"

"It's called pre-ordering, kid," I replied with a smirk.

In the almost 6 years that I've had my white Wii, I've acquired 24 games of which I have a backlog of 5 to play.

Some games are those that I can have fun with frenemies when they come around and have had fun (looking at you Mario Party and CLee!), one that judged my weight while trying to get me to be healthier (mmhmm, Wii Fit how long did you last?), and others that have become beloved games of all time for me.

So I'll probably get a Wii U sooner rather than later and more than likely, knowing myself, I will probably put a pre-order down next week on the thing.  But for now I am taking the time to say a fond farewell to my Wii and some of games from the stellar library that I was afforded hours of countless fun thanks to Nintendo as part of their First Party games and other companies.

As I said, there are still some amazing games I have not yet played on the Wii that I have on my to do list and it's also true that I'll actually probably play two of those first when I get the Wii U.

In the meanwhile, thank you Wii for four of the best games I've played ever.

Thanks for Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.  I had a whole hell of a lot of fun with those.  They were challenging (though I have come to understand that maybe Galaxy 1 was not as difficult as some Mario games can get) with sharp game design all built for utmost fun and wonder.  Exploring a planet's design in the Galaxy series has been nothing short of amazing at the high level of detail and thought clearly stuffed into them.

Thanks for No More Heroes (and thank you, Suda51!!!) which has become one of my favourite, most ridiculous games I've ever played.  It was completely unexpected how Travis Touchdown and his foul-mouthed, violent and crude self snuck his way into my gamer nerd heart.

And while it may not have usurped Mask of Majora for my highest rated Zelda title of all time, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword certainly has secured its place in the top 3 (give or take no. 2 or 3 depending on my mood) of Zelda titles I've played and a top 10 entry of all games I've played ever.  It was a beautifully crafted game with love bursting at the seams, intrigue around every corner (very special shout out to the Lanaryu Desert) and possibly the most frantic, awesomely incredible boss battle ever created in a Zelda game for Koloktos at the Ancient Cistern.  I actually cursed under my breath when I first saw him in a complete "Oh crap" sort of moment.

It's been a great six years with you, Nintendo Wii.  Sure, I did not play you every day and it may have been that a year would go by and I only turned you on once or twice but when I did, I can assure you that those were hours well spent getting lost in the worlds you had to offer.

Of course, this might all be for naught because I don't even know if I'll be able to pre-order one now considering how fast it's already selling out.

I might be one of those chumps come November 20th.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...