Sales of Spam---that much maligned meat---are rising as consumers are turning more to lunch meats and other lower-cost foods to extend their already stretched food budgets.
Spam's maker, Hormel Foods Corp., reported last week that it saw strong sales of Spam in the second quarter, helping push up its profits 14 percent. According to sales information coming from Hormel, provided by The Nielsen Co., Spam sales were up 10.6 percent in the 12-week period ending May 3, compared to last year.
Kimberly Quan, a stay-at-home mom of three who lives just outside San Francisco, has been feeding her family more Spam in the last six months as she tries to make her food budget go further. ... Quan just bought a couple more cans of Spam on sale and some ramen, the instant noodle dish long a staple on college campuses. Her food and gas budgets are together, so she's had to cut back on food spending while the cost of gas increases. Her favorite Spam meal? Spam and macaroni and cheese.
- the above text was taken from a news article I read last week. I do not recall the source.
Just as spam saved the troops in WWII, so will spam save us during the recession! My favourite use of spam (while spam with mac. and cheese is goo'd times) is the H1 mix with spaghetti. The same may be applied to vienna sausages, another staple I will be ingesting in the coming months.
People, stop being down with spam! It's salty 'fake' meat. What's not to love?!
Currently listening to: "Time Honoured Tradition" by Kaiser Chiefs. Yeah, TD5 I'm not really loving them after being harrassed by various sources to listen including yourself. I feel they might annoy me and not be able to make a regular rotation but if you were to provide me with their albums I would gladly accept. Also, this song does tend to crack me up for reasons beyond my comprehension. Actually, it's kind of sad for me to listen to it right now.
...so really...Spam is profiting from the poor?
ReplyDeleteAnd is...back up meat?!?
People need to eat! It's not profiting, it's a source of life for some!
ReplyDeleteAll hail spam!
"Back up meat"? You say it with such disdain!
Let's see what Wikipedia has to say about Spam:
ReplyDelete"A 56 gram (approximately 2 ounce) serving of original Spam provides 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fat (23% US Daily Value) including 6 grams of saturated fat (28% US Daily Value), and over 170 calories. Unfortunately, a serving contains nearly a third of the recommended daily intake of sodium (salt). Spam provides very little in terms of vitamins and minerals (0% vitamin A, 1% vitamin C, 1% calcium, 3% iron). It has been listed as a food that is a poor choice for weight loss and optimum health and as a food that 'is high in saturated fat and sodium'."
Huh. So there's that. But I suppose in fairness to the canned pork product, Wikipedia could mention that it's not supposed to be a substitute for a complete meal, just part of one. Slices of ham are like little salty rafts that more nutritious veggies and bread ride in on.. I guess? I don't know, I don't even like eating real hams. Especially when they wear little boots.
I am responding to this treacherous statement you have made.
ReplyDeleteI thought you were for, not against my love of spam! Especially the kind with boots!