Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Battle of the Animated Bands

With my re-kindled addiction to the Gorillaz, I was reminded of a time in 2005 when I first walked into Toy Tokyo.  Maybe it was one of the first times but anyway, Beetchie and I happened upon the Gorillaz Kid Robot figures.

They were beautiful.

I wanted them but could not afford or even fathom spending the $300 plus dollars on the set.

Quickly consumed by at least 256 other obsessions, I forgot all about my Gorillaz love and my want of their figures until I stumbled upon the White Collection sometime a few weeks ago.

And they were affordable, but still...at $119, I decided I did not need to spend that either.  I am ridiculous but I know my limits...occasionally.

Some searching later, I found 2D for sale at a much more reasonable price and decided he should join the Army of Misfits.



His boots are Misfit ready!

I'm not sure what role he shall play but it's guaranteed to not be part of the wheel that makes clever decisions.


Perhaps he can be our Harmony Smurf?



With better vocals and no bugle?
 Leading the AofM to victory and smurfberry muffins? ...Wait.

The lead singer of The Oxtails began clamouring from his bubble-wrapped slumber and demanded an immediate audience and battle of the animated vocalists to determine who would lead the call to Smurfberry pies!

With Zarnyx citing shenanigans, they both took to their mics without their Asian guitarists as back up (wow, the similarities between bands is amazing! Except our bassist is a true bassist and is black, and theirs is not.  And they also have a full time drummer while ours was off getting 'runk like a skunk and eventually booted from the band) and began a competition so fierce, I was lucky to withstand the sheer awesomeness of it all and capture these candid shots of all the action.

Though, of course...


Indeed, it looked rather grim for Zarnyx - no matter how many oxymorons,
 world-wide promoters, stars, clear microphones, or H1 for a band manager...
 if you can't even look your competition in the eye, you're nothing.

...one fail later, Zarnyx opted for black and white press shots instead, having decided that he was too much of a cool kid to let something like height be an issue.


Because as we all know, we ALL look better in black and white...


...yep, no sign of a bruised ego here or a tiny, carney hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...