Monday, October 01, 2007

A Question Posed

To which I responded: ₤0.00

But not without some thought.

Without a record label - fans, critics and anyone who cares speculated on how the release of Radiohead's 7th album would pan out.

Well, for weeks we've known that the record was done but today, it was announced the album would be released via the band's website in two available formats. The first as a limited edition discbox and the second as a digital download.

The LE of "In Rainbows" costs ₤40.
But the real surprise? The digital download costs... whatever the buyer wants to pay.

Here I was, actually given the opportunity to "buy" music for free. And this wasn't just music - this was an entire album from one of my favourite bands.

I pondered.

The choice, while obvious to many (if it's free, it's for me!!!!), had me questioning exactly how much I would pay for the album.

I wanted to pay.

Ultimately, I ended up purchasing the Limited Edition and decided that (partially out of curiousity) I would 'buy' the digital download for nothing.

Aside from curiousity as to whether I'd seriously be allowed to put zero pounds on my credit card (yes, I'll have to pay whatever transactional fee), I also justified my price tag by the fact that I paid for the LE, and finally, I wouldn't get that until December 3rd and hell, I want my new Radiohead in 9 days. (Consider this saving me the trouble of mp3-ing a cd. Of course, I'm not sure if this will be in mp3 format but I'll see on October 10th.)

So...

Even though I've 'technically' paid quite a hefty sum (a testament to Radiohead's musical worth to me), why do I still feel slightly guilty about my nil bill?

Edit: I did find it odd that if I bought the hardcopy that I wouldn't actually get it until December. It turns out that you get a download with this package as well. So, in fact I get TWO downloads - one paid and one not! Who wants the freebie?

Currently listening to: "2+2=5" by Radiohead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...