Keith Richards: 'I Snorted My Father'
LONDON (AP) -- Keith Richards has acknowledged consuming a raft of illegal substances in his time, but this may top them all. In comments published Tuesday, the 63-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist said he had snorted his father's ashes mixed with cocaine.
"The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father," Richards was quoted as saying by British music magazine NME.
"He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared," he said. "... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."
Richards' father, Bert, died in 2002, at 84.
Richards, one of rock's legendary wild men, told the magazine that his survival was the result of luck, and advised young musicians against trying to emulate him.
"I did it because that was the way I did it. Now people think it's a way of life," he was quoted as saying.
"I've no pretensions about immortality," he added. "I'm the same as everyone ... just kind of lucky.
"I was No. 1 on the `who's likely to die' list for 10 years. I mean, I was really disappointed when I fell off the list," Richards said.
© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved
If his father didn't mind, then who are we to judge?
that has to be the greatest headline ever. def a possible song title at least.
ReplyDeletewant to write the lyrics? snarf.
Snarf?
ReplyDeleteNo, that won't be in the lyrics...or will it? That somehow really works well with the possible song.
looks like it was all a joke. that keith. such a wanker.
ReplyDeleteYeah, so he saaaysss.
ReplyDeleteH1 thinks he retracted that statement and made it a 'joke' because people were horrified.
Come on folks...this is Keith Richards..why is there any element of surprise?
ReplyDelete"Wow. Pearls of Wisdom from the Master of the Obvious" - Battler
ReplyDeleteAnd from the HOchieS:
Hey, we said it wasn't wrong. Ah ha.
How very clever indeed! "Keith Richards" is actually Keith Richards' father. When the Sr. Richards passed away, Keith must have been taking a nap and the coroner hauled them both away. An honest mistake, considering the advanced physical deterioration of, ahem, the, uh, younger Richards. By the time they had realized their error, the crematorium operators had already incinerated the younger and slightly-less dead Richards! But with a little bit of stereophonic voodoo and a secret military bioweapon gone somewhat awry, they were able to reanimate the Sr. Richards and thus unleashed his corpse on the unwitting public, thus keeping alive a long tradition of jibbering interviews which we all assume are amusing testaments to the idiocy of Richards' youth and the laughability of his current pop-culture irrelevance, but which are, in fact, just the jibberings of the brain-hungry undead, ingeniously conditioned by a reclusive mad scientist to throw us all off by saying things like "I snorted my father" and "my prostate is bloody killing me."
ReplyDeleteI think more than a song might be in order here. I'm seeing an Evil Dead sequel. Because any reason (other than the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie at least) to give Bruce Campbell money is good by me.
- j