Thursday, September 24, 2009

U2: Rockin' The Bad Juju, Part I

It may not happen often but sometimes, even though the signs are very clear, I choose to ignore warnings of ill.

From the start, I probably should have known nothing good would come of the U2 September 25th Giants Stadium gig, when purchasing those 6 tickets compromised one of my credit cards - the good one that used to give me Amazon Gift Certificates.

Being treated as a criminal and accused of being someone else is not enough of an omen for me, I suppose.

Then one month before the concert, the date of the show was changed from Friday to Wednesday.

Wha'?

So, just to keep track of it all, our friend Sons along with others all over the world flying out to this show, were SCREWED air fare, hotel fare, work hours etc etc to facilitate a changed date schedule for a religious holiday two days later, that required the NY Jets to re-schedule their game.

Wha'?

Yes. Due to the fact that a particular religious denomination cannot possibly adhere to their chosen faith AND miss a Jets game (honestly, priorities of your choosing, anyone?), U2 fans from all over had to re-book flights, lose money and curse just to go to this effin' show two days earlier.

Please note that U2's excuse was that it was infeasible for them to pull down their stage setting in the three hours less time they were allotted.

Never mind they are stinking filthy wealthy bastards who can hire the extra hands to assist in a moving; and never mind they played a show in MA on the 21st which ended at 11:10 PM or so - had to dismantle the set, pack it up, drive it to NJ only to set it up again for the 23d.

My math may be awful but I'm fairly certain that I am coming to the same conclusion to the equation set forth herein.

Result: We were assed out for no really good reason.

Things do not end there.

Finally deciding to buy tickets for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Radio City Music Hall concert on the 23RD for H1's birthday present, suddenly became a problem.

Equation: YYY + 23 / U2 + 23
Result: whYYYU2...?!?!?! (x23)

Amazing acoustics, great seats and a chance to sing "Zero" with H1 on a nice, relaxing evening just went out the window because Sons changed her flight to come see U2 on the 23rd.

Things, as they say, can ALWAYS be worse.

Here's another for you -

Equation: $170 dollars changing fee + 10 hours of work for 10 days straight just to get 2 days off to come to NYC to see U2 and then having your flight cancelled 3 hours before the concert due to equipment failure = ?
Result: Nightmare. Absolute friggin' nightmare.

We bought a cake of the chocolate double temptation kind - a cake for H1's and Sons' Birthday, and a reminder of why we should be drowing our sorrows from this horrible experience in a chocolatey overload of chocolate mousse, cheese cake, fudge and chocolate ganache:



Currenlty listening to: "Fell in Love with a Girl" - by The White Stripes.

3 comments:

  1. This is what you get for not heeding the Lord's warnings! Now you understand why I jetted out of the Avenue Q dilemma as soon as things started getting complicated. Fun things should never be complicated! Never ever!

    Hmph.

    ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. See! I knew no good would come out of loving U2! I knew it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GK: I don't what "complicated" you were talking about for Avenue Q. What did you get in logic class? There was nothing complicated about that plan! You are just crazy.

    Beetchie: Don't forget, I didn't even go to see U2 this crappy album 'round. I went to see MUSE. What you meant to say was, "no good can come of anything when cherries are involved" (in addition to Sons' loving U2)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...