Thursday, February 18, 2010

Obsession(s) of the Week: 01/24/2010 - 02/08/2010

Lucky Star



After J-List decided to throw all things Lucky Star at me as part of my Lucky Bag, I decided that I should go ahead and watch the series. It's a slice of life themed anime but the content is so RANDOM. I really enjoy it though and look forward to finishing it. So far all the characters have something endearing about them.

Update: I stopped at episode 8.  Note to self to finish this, really.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

I haven't truly played much of this yet but so far, my first fight was amazingly gruesome and the arcade style side jobs are fresh even if they invoke your 8 bit gaming day memories.  Sometimes, it's all about the classics! Travis is pretty angry this time around being hell bent on revenge but um, he's still pretty stupid.  He's still a loveable otaku 2 years later (a loveable otaku? There's a concept! Ha). 
  
Final Fantasy Tactics



I began playing it in earnest i.e. not dying in the swamp. Now I'm being slaughtered all over the world map in Ivalice...great. In all seriousness, 12 years after the fact, this game remains a masterpiece. It's not without its flaws in camera-turning mechanics or the often frustrating job building career choices or who to tailor to be awesome but I cannot remember the last time a story was this deep and engaging and in a language I could follow without being a convoluted headache (FFXII, you failed me there). Also, graphically it's impressive and the actions of the sprites are shocking and full of heart. 

Update: I finished it and wow.  This just shot right up there in my top 10 games ever played.  I admit it I may have expected something 'more' at the end and was surprised when it just up and ended but what an amazing experience.  I'm really happy I finally played this series even if I was too late to snag some swag and will be hard-pressed to try to find a Ramza figure now.

White Collar



Two days ago I was wondering when it was I became a USA Network Junkie. I attribute that to my constant need to watch L&O: SVU, which used to always run marathons on that channel. Then came "Burn Notice" and now "White Collar". Last season was interesting enough for me to warrant picking it up again when it began three weeks ago. The continuation has been ramped up and the show has found its niche. It's smart and funny with interesting characters and the right amount of humour. My favourite character has to be Peter (even though he's straight-laced and that is unlike me) though I find Moz really coming into his own as a support. Fun stuff! Now, how do I convince the rest of you to watch? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...