I guess that makes it a good thing it's not that close by after all.
Their soft serve Green Tea ice-cream is the best I've had since Kyoto, and their onigiri are pretty decent.
Last Tuesday, H1 and I decided to make a jaunt to see if we could muster up some dinner.
The problem with Cafe Zaiya being so distant from us is that they move products quickly. Therefore, the lunch time crowd is privy to all the good stuff, and we...well. We get whatever's left over if we happen upon there in the evening.
You can still get hot food which we have yet to try (Ah, Japanese curry...my downward spiral obsession), as well as pre-packaged 'hot' food.
We went with the rice,pork katsu and beef croquette.
Dinner was okay as far as that goes (the croquette was good but I was so used to creamy Japanese croquettes that I was slightly confused) but the real winners of the evening were the tuna pastry/bread, the mochi doughnut and the custard.
Spicy tuna in bread.
It tasted very much like a Trinidadian fish pie minus the pastry crust on our Trini ones. No matter though because it was really great. I could sure go for a Trini fish pie right now.
Mochi doughnut. Trust me, it was amazing.
I debated whether or not to get it. On the one hand, there's always the fear of choking on mochi. On the other hand, it's a doughnut. I'm glad I make 'insane' decisions sometimes. I do not think I have ever had a better doughnut. And I didn't choke!
Flan. Yummmm.
H1 and I were worried that maybe we should have eaten the doughnut last. We always worry that our last bite of new food would disappoint and do our best with our pre-choices.
While I think the doughnut was the best thing we had that day, the custard did not disappoint at all. It was probably the creamiest custard I have had in a while. So...creamy. So...awesome.
So H1, when are we going back?



I forgot about yummy creamy Japanese croquettes! That fish "pie" looks good... as does the plan. I need to make a trip there with you guys...
ReplyDeleteok, I kid you not, my verification was "raplati" (Indian if I do say so) and while I was writing it changed to "joble." This thing is so messing with me.
The mochi doughnut was the best. Yes, we have to go back because there are so many things to try tucked away in that tiny space.
ReplyDelete::sigh::
Hmmm, the blog may be trying to think of middle names for Moodou.