Saturday, April 03, 2010

From Saturday to Friday: Too Much Adventuring! Part I: Carts and Carousels

Last Saturday, I cornered myself by a good idea.

My brain spurted out: Let's go to dim sum and then to the MoMa!

My mouth was quick to follow.

H1's ears were within reach of brilliance and jumped all over my plan.

That was on the Tuesday of last week.

By the time Saturday came around, my will to move which always leaves me by Friday night was still in full effect come the next morning.

Unfortunately, H1's will to move and desire to eat dim sum was not.

So off to dim sum The HOchieS went.

The usual fair was there including the fried pork meats I had not had the pleasure of eating for quite some time.

 Those juicy dumplings were there (that's new!)
except these weren't so juicy.

Oooo, a taro puff.  Mmm.  And it was warm.  Mmm x2

Cold, fried pork.  Tasty, but cold.

This was not the usual fair.  They told me it was beef.  
I'm not sure how it could have been but I love mystery meat!
There's no need to tell me untruths.  Chances are, I'd still eat it.

The HOchieS though, have hit upon a sad revelation.  It's one I have noticed for a while and that is that we have been trained to eat quickly because of time constraints at work.

I wonder if I will ever have a moment to sit and enjoy dim sum again?

As the dim sum carts whiz by, I grab food and we shovel with a quickness that you can not imagine.

I think H1 and I need to make it a point one day to go try a new dim sum house and make sure we have a day off.

That of course, is the problem....we always are rushing around on our days off doing something constructive.  We're always bound by a train schedule.  We're always bound by work.

::sigh::

On our way out through Chinatown, I picked up some milk tea.  I was so looking forward to drinking it but somehow ended up with a bad-tasting batch.  I just thought I'd throw that in there because it still saddens me this day, one week later.

I also took some pictures which I will share with all now:

A building I never noticed before.
Apparently, I will need to take a better picture.  
You can't really make out the lanterns I was aiming to show.  
Crazy camera phone.

A friend who was eating an apple.  
Why some ass would waste an apple, 
and upset a lion with some fruit, I do not know.

From Downtown to Midtown:

We then headed to the MoMa to view the Tim Burton Exhibit.

On the way, we came across a pigeon who was happily sitting in a fountain.  I would never drink water from the fountain (and no one dares to because it's not that kind of fountain) or dip my hand in the water (gross! People do that!)...but in the event of a Zombie Scenario, I may have no choice in the matter.  I will take my chances with some lounging pigeons.

There he is, all smug near the corner.

Aaaannnddd, there he is...
all pooping in the corner.  Showing me his ass.  Bird.
Suddenly, zombies seem like the better gamble.

Now, the MoMa was crowded.  It was expected.  It was a Saturday.  It was sunny out (but frightfully cold) and it was Tim Burton.

I was not allowed to take pictures in the actual exhibit, and will be unable to show you the cute little carousel sculpted piece I saw.

Nor will I be able to show you all the wonderfully expressive heads of Jack, Jack himself and the Citizens of Halloween Town behind the glass.  Yep, THE citizens and THE Pumpkin King in a glass case.  Oh, how excited I was.

I sadly will not get to show you Stain Boy, Oyster Boy and friends also behind a glass case.  Or Stain Boy in his house in a bloody room, with a bloody set of legs sticking out from behind the curtain.  I'm certain the murder was unintentional, of course.

I also will not get to show you the tiny Cat Woman suit worn by Michelle Phifer, or the Batman masks, or the Penguin's Baby Carriage (probably the most unimpressive thing there, really)!

Definitely do not expect me to show you props from Big Fish, Planet of the Apes, Corpse Bride or Sleepy Hollow.

No Vincent to show you, either.  Or Frankenweenie.

The most sad thing I will not be able to show you are the many beautiful and very disturbing drawings that Tim Burton created.  They were brill.: shadow men, the many monsters and the twisted relationships between men and women Tim Burton style.  There were also poems scrawled by his hand on copy book pages - stories of monsters climbing skyscrapers in NYC and Girlfriend Statues.

I was hoping to at least get an expensive print to put in my room but alas, there were no prints to be had.  They simply do not exist and it troubles me so. 

Instead, I can tell you about all the wonderful things...and....oh.  Seems I already have.

Moving along then...

I do have good news!

I can show you THIS!

What's this? What's this? 
Two girls I do not know.  
But they are standing in front of a Wall with Dates.  
It's a summary of Tim Burton's work.  On a wall.  Exciting, yes?

Scary! Don't get too close! 
Hm, this photos is awfully dark.

Huh.

This looks awfully normal for Tim Bur..
oh, of course.  
This was outside and NOT a Tim Burton piece.  Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...