Monday, April 05, 2010

From Saturday to Friday: Too Much Adventuring! Part III: Oysters and Ice-Cream

My streak of aptly naming my blog posts in this series by using two words beginning with the same letter is over.

Friday met The HOchieS & Alex with a plan.

We took nearly one week and one half to sort out the execution of the excursion, and ultimately decided that we would hit up the Oyster Bar at GCS at 2:30 p.m.

How I managed to not eat my hand by the time it was time for 'lunch' is beyond me.

Suddenly I recall feeling ill for a better part of the evening before and most of that day, forcing me to not want food.  Let me not also forget there may have been some dipsy doodles for lunch.  (Okay.  It's good to know I can account for my hand being here still.)

A walk to GCS' 42nd and Vanderbilt is no real easy task.  Sure it's easy when you don't have to go back to work, or rush to catch a train but there's also a secret entrance.

This secret entrance ::cough...45th and madison.. cough:: ..not 'secret at all..cough:: made our lives easier.

In a flash, we made it to GCS, collected our sandwiches (and the time we went? Perfect for no lines!) and even had time for the elusive and incredibly amazing soft-serve green tea ice-cream at Cafe Zaiya.

Take that, Thursday Night Fail!

Yep, thanks to our secret entrance we managed to do our buisness in our allotted one hour lunch time frame.

So what was so special about the sandwiches?

Let us take a look, shall we?

 Taunt me with your 'to trains' sign, why don't you.  
I should have worked harder to convince them 
of my better plan! Leave work at 4:30, go get food, then go HOME!

Hello, Oyster Bar.  You were exactly where 
the sign said you were.  Funny things, these signs.

 Contrary to what you may think, 
we did not in fact, get the cup of water from the Oyster Bar.

We did however, get this gOO'd looking thing.  
Alex's Cajun Rock Shimp sandwich.  
H1 and I both snuck a shrimp a piece and it was tasty.

H1 and I got, the Fried Oyster Po'Boy.  
The bread was beautiful and really quite good.  
There was not too much mayo which was also a plus.  
The oysters were fried nicely.

I'd say it was a terrific sandwich...if you like oysters that is.

The po'boy was very well put together and was a 'good' sandwich, I could tell.  But H1 and I may have made a revelation.  We may not like the taste of oysters.
I am uncertain how it is we've never had oysters until last week but now that I have had them fried, I cannot say I particularly enjoyed the taste.

You never know until you try, though.

Plus there's more to try from that menu and we will make a jaunt of it again in the future.

4 comments:

  1. That's because you need to eat em while they're still kicking! Raw on a half shell, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true. I cannot say I have had an oyster until I have it raw.

    Then I will decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oysters are fantastic any way you do them. Best is raw, thrown back with tabasco and seasoning around the savannah in T'dad. i love then fried when they're still really hot and crsipy....Yuuuuuuummmmm

    "Mididis": Me did this. (that is true)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replace those 'm's for some 't's and you have yourself an MC type word verification.

    Moodou should have oysters at some point.

    Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow.

    But some day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...