I've not been enjoying this season of Dexter, as I'm unclear as to what direction they're taking this show in.
Last night's episode though was incredibly well-written.
The scenes with Carmilla were amazing. Michael C. Hall did a great job - he was rigid, then uncomfortable almost, almost human but ultimately confused. As a serial killer with no emotions, I think he acted it smoothly. He was unsure of his actions and the territory he was in and the Margo Martindale who plays Carmilla, I felt, made a convincing case that had me questioning why assisted suicide is illegal in certain cases.
It was painful to watch but delivered the best episode of the season based not on the usual anxiety but the sheer power of the cast.
And then of course, there was Masuka.
Not without some sort of clever wit as Dexter usually has, the not-seen-enough-this-season Masuka was on a roll last night. I can't do it any justice but it was classic.
Memorable Quotes from Dexter 9/09/08:
Dexter: The murderer did this in his socks. These are not shoe prints, they're sock prints.
Masuka: Sock prints... sock prints... Ugh.
Dexter: What?
Masuka: I know who did this. Fucking Albert Chung!
::later::
Dexter: Why is this bothering you so much?
Masuka: Because he's Asian! He's making the rest of us look bad. Tch. And Asians are supposed to be smart. Ha.
::later still::
Masuka, while reading the newspaper after A.C's capture: Fucking Albert Chung.
Dexter: You know, he looks like you.
Masuka: That's called racism. Tch... Wait. He really does look like me.
Currently listening to: "Jam Blues" by Shiro Sagisu, from the Bleach: The Diamond Dust Rebellion Original Soundtrack.
I agree...I feel like there has been no cohesive plot this season...it's kinda more like a bunch of individual episodes. I'm waiting for it all to tie in together.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Masuka is correct...Asian's notice when other Asians go out and make asses of themselves...it makes us all look bad. And the whole "Socks, it's so cliche" was cracking me up, b/c if my mom went to go rob a house, she'd probably do it barefoot and clean up afterwards.. ^_^
Oh and yeah...the whole story line with Marge (is that her name?) creeped me the hell out. I felt so bad for her.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I too look out for Asians that make you look bad. It just leaves me convinced of things I always knew.
ReplyDeleteI keed.
Half of me identifies.
Mostly though, I get mortified when Trinis do stupid things even though I'm displaced.
Who's Marge and why don't I remember this?
Oh the chick with the cancer and the key lime pie. I will never look at key lime pie the same way again.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was Carmilla...
ReplyDeleteYeah, that was tragic.