Saturday, August 28, 2010

New Adventures...With (A Somewhat Unexpected) Incident. Part V: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Big Gay Ice-Cream Truck

After our ramen lunch, with just enough time to spare before the 3:15 p.m. showing of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, we headed over to the Regal at 14th Street.  When we got to the theatre, we were told we had the wrong one.  It was that OTHER Regal across the way.  Oh.  Well then.

You know, things happen for a reason.  If not for the diverted route, we never would have run into the beautiful sight that was this:

Yes! Finally!

The evening before, after our steak dinner, for whatever reason, The Big Gay Ice-Cream Truck was talked about.  After hearing about this delightful purveyor of sometimes strange concoctions of Ice-cream treats over a year ago, I have wanted very much to find the truck.

Thursday morning as we found ourselves walking from Grand Street to St. Mark's, it crossed my mind that maybe today we would run into the truck.  I had a good feeling about it.  I willed it, almost! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  So it was no surprise that we found the truck, after all.  The mind is strong!

There were so many choices and we were so full from lunch.  Should we try something way out there as normal for us or should we go with something a little bit more tame in mix but not in name?

Decisions...

...decisions.

Well, we didn't exactly want to have to waste a perfectly good cone nor did we have the space to waste being so full... A full stomach usually means no will for adventuring, so we opted for something not crazy.


Although the Bea Arthur would have been my first choice, there'll be another day to go back for that one.  It was TOO safe, so we went with The Salty Pimp.

Sure, it doesn't look like much.  
In fact, Beetchie cat battle wounds on her hand look more impressive.

The Salty Pimp, while not anything odd to look at, was made with a craftsmanship I can only be in awe of and cannot describe.  It was art the way that man made it - good art.  Underneath that chocolate shell lay the goodness of a dusting of sea salt, and lines of dulce de leche.  I would like to say that the owner of the Big Gay Ice-Cream truck and the creations, is a really wonderful, funny guy.  He was so sweet even if he did try to charge me an extra $10 for an extra spoon.  It was all in jest, of course.

Life was good except now we only had about four minutes until Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World started.

Four minutes to eat an ice-cream cone and still get to the movie theatre... Hmmm.  Either we miss the beginning to hustle down some ice-cream or something much more clever...

Hide the ice-cream in one of our shopping bags!

Some people eating at an open cafe witnessed our clever trick.  They were probably wondering why they did not think of something so brilliant before.  It was either that or they were wondering why the hell anyone would save a soft-serve cone for later.

With ice-cream secured and minutes to spare, we made it to the movie during the last two previews.  Thank goodness for Beetchie's clever thinking about ordering the tickets from her phone while we were waiting on line.  I refuse to thank the Iphone or let Apple steal this situation for a commercial of their own.

 I regret not getting a better picture of this massive billboard.

For a Thursday afternoon showing for a movie that had abysmal sales, the theatre was surprisingly crowded.  The important thing was that we found some seats together in a shady corner, and then settled in to watch one of the greatest movies in recent history.

The opening credits had me in a very happy nerd state and the rest of the movie was mostly pure brilliance.  It was on the last minute that I didn't really care but that is forgiven.

I didn't know if I could love Michael Cera anymore than I did but I do.  There's a lot of M. Cera hate going around on the Internet these days but they don't know! He's very cool...for a Canadian.  Hahaha.

Video game, anime, and comic book culture was all wrapped in to one but what really made me incredibly impressed was the music culture infusion.  The music was fun, fast, made no sense and all round fantastic mix of punk, indie and anything else you can think of.

I have not yet read the books but they're sitting in my room as we speak.  I am looking forward to reading them.  The movie was clever and funky and I expect even more to come from the comics.

Scott Pilgrim's not for everyone (only cool kids) as anything is but I loved it.  For me, Edgar Wright scores 3 out of 3 with first Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and now Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.  He's a good director and the movie is very unique.

Go see it!

Especially you Frass...what with your Piranha 3D.  You shame me sometimes. 

Currently listening to: "Katayanagi Twins vs. Sex Bob-Omb" by Nigel Godrich and Sex Bob-omb, from The Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to run into a Big Gay Ice-Cream truck on the street somewhere. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently hungry BeetchieThu Sep 02, 11:52:00 PM 2010

    That man created that cone with some big gay ice cream mastery...which sounds less impressive and much dirtier than it was...(you know what I'm talking about B!)

    We must find it again. I want that chocolate covered pickle w/ sriracha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy - Everyone should. You never know what you'll find while strolling along NYC streets. Gotta love it.

    Beetchie - You're on your own with the chocolate covered pickle with sriracha. On. Your. Own. I'm not a fan of the sriracha. Although you know, we could probably make all that ourselves...

    Yes on your commentary about the cone. Stop sullying this bloggie boo!

    WV: pliti. Which reminds me an awful lot of 'bitti'. Which is disgusting. Bloggie Boo sullies itself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...